Luther & 500th Anniversary of the Reformation Tour
2017 is the 500th Anniversary of the Lutheran Reformation; let us organise a bespoke commemorative tour for your groups, taking in all the key Luther sites in Germany.
Tour highlights can include:
- Wittenberg: celebrate the 500th anniversary of the nailing of Luther's famous '95 Theses' in Wittenberg, which launched the Protestant Reformation. See Luther's house, the university where he worked and the church where he is buried beneath the pulpit.
- Melanchthon House, given to Philipp Melanchthon, the 'Teacher of Germany'.
- Eisenach and Luther's House, Wartburg Castle and Luther's Cell where he translated the Bible and St George's Church.
- Lutherstadt Eisleben and Luther's birthplace and where he died in 1546.
- Erfurt: the monastery where Luther studied, St Mary's Cathedral where he was ordained and the Luther Stone.
- Dessau, where he preached.
- Augsburg, where he refused to revoke his Theses and site of the Augsburg Confession. See priceless early Lutheran manuscripts, documents and paintings.
- Torgau, including the Castle, the Castle Church and St. Mary's Church, where Luther's wife Katharina von Bora is buried.
- Coburg Castle in beautiful Bavaria, where he took refuge.
- The 300 year old 'Francke Foundations', a centre of Lutheran Pietism that included an orphanage, school and Bible society and where Henry Melchior Muhlenberg, patriarch of the Lutheran Church in America, studied.
- Berlin: key sites such as the Reichstag, Berlin Gate, Topography of Terror, Potsdamer Platz, Berlin Cathedral and Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church.
- Buchenwald concentration camp, where Pastor Paul Schneider, the first Protestant minister to be matyred by the Nazis, was imprisoned. Also Pastor Dietrich Bonhoeffer, a German Lutheran minister who was involved in a plot to assassinate Hitler.
- Enjoy special exhibitions, concerts, church services, festivals and theatre productions highlighting the importance of the Reformation and the role Martin Luther played.
Photographs: Main image: Wittenberg, market square, town hall and Luther monuments ©German National Tourist Board/Jochen Keute; Luther's house, Eisenach ©German National Tourist Board/Barbara Neumann; Potsdamer Platz and Berlin Wall, Berlin ©German National Tourist Board/Gianluca Santoni.