William Shakespeare Tour
Generally thought of as the greatest English writer of all time, certainly the greatest playwright and poet, Shakespeare was a master at fusing the popular genres of history, tragedy and comedy. Originally an actor himself, he brought theatre to the masses with masterpieces such as Hamlet, King Lear and Romeo and Juliet, while his history plays were often strategically written to please the reigning monarch.
Tour highlights include:
- The Globe, on the site of Shakespeare's original theatre and reconstructed to resemble the original playhouse, including a backstage tour and exhibition.
- Walking tour of London on life in Shakespeare's time.
- Stratford-upon-Avon and Shakespeare's birthplace, his school, tomb and the homes of his mother and his wife, Anne Hathaway.
- Hall's Croft, the home of Shakespeare's eldest daughter.
- A performance by the Royal Shakespeare Company.
- Oxford, the beautiful city of spires.
Photographs: Main image: Hall's Croft, Stratford-upon-Avon; Shakespeare's birthplace, Stratford-upon-Avon; The Globe Theatre, London ©VisitBritain/Britain on View.