"Last night I dreamt I went to Manderley again". Few opening lines are so memorable. Starring Lily James, Armie Hammer and Kristin Scott Thomas, the new adaptation of Daphne du Maurier's 'Rebecca' uses several different locations for Manderley, fusing some of the greatest stately homes in the UK to recreate the famous house.
- Hatfield House - one of the main locations for the grander interior scenes. Locations used included the magnificent Marble Hall, the gold-ceilinged Long Gallery, the Armoury, the paintings-covered walls of the King James Drawing Room and the Marble Hall.
- Petworth House - the art gallery was ideal for the scene where Mrs de Winter explores Manderley. The Estate Offices and yard appear as Manderley’s estate offices and yard.
- Osterley House and Park - explore the warren of corridors, kitchens and basements used to represent the servants' quarters and the location for their party during the Manderley costume ball. The stable block appears in the scene where Mrs de Winter goes horse-riding with Rebecca’s cousin, Jack Favell and Osterley was also used as the location for the Harley Street doctor’s surgery. The Entrance Hall appears as the waiting room and the Eating Room the actual surgery.
- Ham House - discover the room used for Mrs Danvers' bedroom. The Buttery, Back Parlour and West Passage were also used in the courtroom and police station scenes.
- Mapperton House - Maxim and Mrs de Winter host a party by Mapperton’s orangery and Mapperton was the location for Rebecca’s grand wing in Manderley and her morning room and flower room.
- Waddesdon Manor - the location used for the shots of Maxim’s Bentley cruising up the long driveway to Manderley. The French Renaissance-style château was also the ideal location for some of the Monte Carlo hotel scenes, including Mrs Van Hopper’s hotel suite. The Breakfast Room, Dining Room, Conservatory and East Gallery were transformed for the film.
- Loseley House - the location for the East Wing bedrooms.
- Hartland Quay - the stunning coastal location for all the beach, boat, cliff and boat house scenes.
- See also the main location used for the drive and entrance.
Slideshow: Hatfield House; Waddesdon Manor © National Trust Images/Barry Keen.
Photos to the right of the tour: filming at Mapperton House; the semicircular alcove at the end of the Entrance Hall at Osterley Park and House © National Trust Images/John Hammond.
The guide was terrific, knowledgeable and fun from beginning to end! Thank you, Lana and Tours International, for the trip of a lifetime!